Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ski Idaho Challenge

First, you should know about the N.W.S.C.C. Northwest Ski Challenge. This program, initiated by Steve Coxen, began with a Ski Oregon Challenge in the 2005-2006 season. This program challenged snowriders to ski/board at least 9 areas in Oregon during a single season. There were a total of 11 areas on the list, and to my surprise, I was the first snowrider to reach them all, and the only snowboarder to do so. You can read more about my experience snowboarding Oregon at my Ski Oregon blog.

In the 2006-2007 season, the N.W.S.C.C. added a Ski Washington Challenge, while retaining the Ski Oregon Challenge. Having visited all of Oregon's resorts the previous season, and enjoying the experience, I decided I would make the effort to visit all the areas in Washington. I did so with fervor, and rode many of them on their opening weekends. It was a great early season, and I managed to visit all 12 lift-served areas on the Ski Washington Challenge before the end of 2006. Take a look at my Ski Washington blog for details. I started 2007 by breaking my leg during some post-midnight snowboarding, and had to sit out the season until April 21st.

During the 2007-2008 season, a third challenge has been added to the previous two, completing the trifecta which is the Northwest Ski Challenge. The third challenge is, of course, the Ski Idaho Challenge. This season should be a very good one for Idaho, with early snows already blanketing upper slopes at some ski areas. I will record my progress in snowboarding all 16 Idaho resorts this season using this blog, where you will find narrative, photos, and possibly even the occasional video from my adventures.

You'll still want to keep an eye on the Ski Oregon and Ski Washington blogs as well, as I am planning to update those with more adventures this season as well.

1 comment:

styrofoamtoo said...

Hi David!!! Just thought I would take this opportunity to wish you luck on your upcoming journey. Hope all the lines are short and all the tracks fresh. Enjoy the Idaho scenery and stay warm and dry. Styrofoamtoo